Mommom’s Watermelon Rind Pickles
Aw, the memories. This is by far one of my most favorite pickles. I use to watch my Grandmother making them and then my own Mom turned the pickle into a true work of art. I have been making them for over 30 years now myself using the recipe my Mom perfected. This recipe takes two days if you do it right but the end result is just delicious.
- 1 (6-pound) watermelon (2lbs watermelon rind)
- 6 cups water (1qt for brine)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3 (1/4-inch) slices fresh ginger
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 whole allspice
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cup apple cider vinegar (our preference)
- Carefully remove outer green layer from watermelon rind using a vegetable peeler. Reserve remaining watermelon for another use. Cut rind into 1/2-inch pieces. Bring 4 cups water and 1/4 cup salt to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rind to pan. Soak overnight . Drain, rinse and cover with cold water . Cook until just tender and slightly translucent, drain.
- Place ginger, cloves, allspice,lemon,and cinnamon on a square of [url href=”http://iyiyii.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/watermelon-in-pot.jpg”][img src=”http://iyiyii.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/watermelon-in-pot.jpg” alt=”watermelon rind cooking in spices” class=”alignright”][/url]cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together; tie securely. Combine cheesecloth bag, 1 teaspoon salt, sugar, 2cups water, and vinegar in saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour hot vinegar mixture over rind. Simmer for 20 mins. Remove spice bag. Continue simmering until the rind is clear. Fill sterilized jars to 1/2 inch from top.
- Process in canner 10-15 minutes
- Chill at least 8 hours before serving.